The back cover of the latest Bicycle Retailer magazine had a Torker ad that made me sad. Torker was once one of the coolest brands on the BMX circuit with riders such as the King brothers and Jason Jensen and later powerhouse Tommy Brackens and Hollywood Mike Miranda.
The twin top tube actually made it a favorite among freestyle riders and Bob Haro based his first freestyle bike on Torker's design. What made me cringe is the fact that the Torker name is now being used to sell Unistar Unicycles, Scooters, Beach Cruisers and Trikes with not one BMX bike in their program. What happened here?
- The Dorkin' in York videos back in the day were all classics. They showed the latest in flatland riding from the Plywood Hoods which included Kevin Jones and Mark Eaton. It was tough getting your hands on the videos in the early days of vcr recorders. The NTSC tapes did not work well with the PAL system and once you did find someone who had a NTSC video recorder (often American based soldiers), the trick was to video tape the TV and record it on PAL. Mark Eaton has now released all the videos (10 in total) in a DVD box (it has 3 Dorkin' in York DVD's and 1 bonus DVD). It has all the history and is a must-have for everyone who rides flatland.
[size=large]We're sorry to announce that FATBMX is dead.[/size]
The lack of updates the last couple of months was an indication of things that have been going on behind the scenes. We encountered many problems with our loved ones and employers that we spent too much time behind the computer working on the FATBMX website. It was a touch decision but life goes on.
Gotcha! Of course we're just kidding here. The need for FATBMX is high as we were confronted with the question: "when's the next FAT update going to be on?" wherever we went. Glad you guys like it, good to hear you miss it when it's gone. Here's a list of updates that we need to work on still. Sooner or later they'll be up:
- The European BMX Street championship series have come to an end. Paddy Gross and Markus Wilke both won the overall title. Barry Kohne finished 2nd for Holland and Mark Koenig and Sascha Claussen tied for third. Find pics of round one (Heerlen) and two (Oldenburg) on FATBMX's freestyle section this month. Final pics (Darmstadt) will be added in July.
At the 1994 World's in Cologne the Bro Hymn song by Epitaph got played over and over again. It became the song of the contest and until this day I think about Pro-mini with Miron and Bender on the spine whenever I hear that song.
Fast forward a few years and Pennywise are touring Europe with the Warped tour. John Peacy and Rick Thorne were doing shows as well and Rick totally hooked us up with free lunch, a round in the tour bus, some ice cold Nescafe coffee drinks and last but not least we all made it on the stage when Pennywise was playing.
- Mike "King of Choq" De Wit is the new creative madman at Globe shoes. To celebrate he bought an 04 Audi Avant and put 19" rims on it. Better than a white Minerva with plastic rims.......
- FATBMX reached maximum bandwidth again in May. It was because the provider had not switched us to "Plan Pro" yet. We've doubled the bandwidth from 15GB/Month to 30GB/Month so the problem should be solved.
The editorial is supposed to be a personal note from the editor. This month I'm going to take it really personal and talk about our son Philip who just turned 6 months. Having a kid is a big step. Responsibility changes and you can't just go out for a ride any longer. The boy needs to be taken care of and either Wendy or I have to stay home to baby sit. But the babysitting is a lot of fun too especially when the baby is healthy and smiles all the time.
What will the future bring for Philip? We don't know. He might become a computer geek, he might like music so much he wants to start his own band, maybe he'll join the boy scouts (don't think so!) or likes horseback riding (no thank you).
- The BMX track at the UCI training facility in Switzerland was being completely re-done. Before the dozers took the track down UCI's own BMX coordinator Johan Lindstrom got a chance the jump the pro doubles on his YZ motorcycle. At least he can say he jumped the doubles! No worries, a new track is being built and also some BMX trails will be added.
- Ruben Alcantara's prototype Terrible One frame is out now. It features the Spanish bottom bracket and will be put to the test in a few days. Dave Mirra is riding a 2005 prototype Mirra Pro frame that looks a bit like a T-1. It will most likely come with a Spanish BB as well (mid-sized at least).
At FATBMX we like to party. There's no secret about it. Meeting up with everyone at night to have a good time is an important part of going to a BMX event. If the partying is good, at least it was worth it going the contest for that. The contest might suck but hanging out together can save a lot of things.
- It's raining and you need something to do. You're behind the computer and don't know where to go. Here's Rob Harrison's link list for you to keep you busy for a while. http://www.20inchers.com/lifestyle/links_comp.html
- The RedBull Circle Of Balance will take place on 24 April next. Top riders from all over the world will be flown in for the flatland-only invitation contest. Most riders are staying for the Braun Ninja Spin contest in Paris the week after COB. For info on both contests, check the FATBMX event schedule.