- Biz Jordan sent in some killer 909 FAT pin-up pics. Keep checking FATBMX's favorite section for the good stuff.
- Danny Parks' Frigid Temps Tour is over. Another rider who escaped from the cold (NY) and made it work for himself. Aight.
- Luke Parslow has signed a 2 year deal with HARO Australia.
- "Due to circumstances the Team Neighbor Calendar has been scheduled to be a 2005 version, instead of being it 2004" - Neighbor Tim. I still have no 2004 calendar on my wall. I was hoping for a new high quality Manu Sanz calendar, they ruled.
- Everyone with a BMX bike should make their way to Eindhoven on Saturday March 6th for the Battle of the lamp (noon-15:00hr) and the street ride. Feel like you're part of the family when we leave for street spots by bike at 3pm. Meeting point: Stadhuisplein.
- DICKIES GROUND CONTROL is an international BMX flatland contest vs Break dance battle. This means that Paul will perform his famous headspin and Bart will do a backspin. Maybe not. The comp will be held in Aix en provence (France) on March 21st. More info in FAT's event schedule.
- Pill is the new team manager of Eastpak Europe. He's picking the prime Eastpak riders at the moment. Will this include the Freestyle Force members?
- OP Girls Learn How to Ride is one of the many girls programs that encourages the females to get rad. With girls shredding on snowboards, wakeboards, inline skates and on the BMX track, it's now time we can get some more rad girls into BMX freestyle. Thanks to OP and WOF for their support.
- In real life our FATBMX webmaster is a pimp. Need proof? Here's a picture.
- Props’ Stew Johnson will be hitting the road with his laptop and cameras and going on a 6 week European road trip including the Etnies Backyard Jam, a Spain Road trip with Rueben and a We The People Road Trip across Italy.
- John Paul Rogers always has some fucked up stories. The latest ones you can find on the FACTION website. JP had to keep typing for a while otherwise his fingers would freeze off. The jet-set life of a magazine editor.....
- Adi over at 2&8 has been using the shitty weather to make a killer company website: http://www.twoand8.com. More things are cooking but you'll find more about that on the site.
- Slayer played in Bam's back yard for his mtv show. Large Ray was present and got up close to take some pics. He's deaf now but the pics came out nice.
- 20inchers news:
The first road trip incarnation of 'Pariah' - the culmination of Revolt, Harddad and Eat the Rich rider companies will be making a roadtrip on route to the Worlds in Cologne and will be staying in the Cologne area the week prior to the Worlds weekend.
- Long time FATBMX supporter SNAFU have announced their 2004 team set up:
SNAFU 2004 TEAM
SNAFU German Connection
- In the 2004 Pacific staff list we saw the name of UK's Chris Woodage: Chris Woodage is the official photographer for the Schwinn, GT and Mongoose brands. He is responsible for all action sports photography, art direction and coordination. Sounds like a fun job.
- We just received a copy of BACO 10. We have not watched it yet but will review it next month. Can't wait.
- Peter Geys has been working on a new halfpipe for his frontyard. The current (snow) conditions don't really help with the project but it will be done sooner or later.
- wethepeople news sent in by Rob Harrison:
Max Gaertig, wethepeople's newest rider, is among the riders from the team making the trip to this years first backyard jam in Bournemouth, England.
The wethepeople video might be ready..but is that news or only continued speculation....
- Talking about the Worlds 2004 - the website is online! Check www.bmxworlds2004.de to find all the contest info and latest news regarding the riders.
- Due to recent controversies over King of Concrete DeJay is no longer involved in the event. Instead of giving up DeJay is doing his own event @ Southsea on June 19/20th!! DeJay: "It will be amazing for sure! We are going to run Vert, Street & Bowls. Also, because the comp is called KING OF THE SKATEPARK we will be running a KEYHOLE & QUARTER PIPE event, old school style, you know the score?! I have 2 complete 1985 Haro Masters as prizes for that as well!!! Overall amateur winner will get a week @ Point-X camp in California!! We will have a Pro Purse as well. Plans are also in place to hopefully have a 1985 BMX fancy dress nite out @ the local club complete with old school slide show!"
- Punk Ass Fabrics is making some kicks ass products. A flipped up middle finger and the slogan: "adolescence is just a state of mind" gives you an idea of what to expect. For more info surf to: www.punk-ass-fabrics.tk.
- Terry Carson over at Ten Pack has been doing a great job of providing news, ey:
Travis Collier (wethepeople, Primo) has been busy working his ass off at an awesome job, three days a week. Hopefully this will help finance his trip to Australia, later in the year, but before he goes to Australia, he’ll conquer Europe. Despite the rainy winter, he’s been riding a lot and shooting some photos.
Ben McPherson (FBM) has been switched over to ride FBM for us in Canada.
Karl Engstrom (Orchid Footwear, Kink) has just been added to our roster to ride for Orchid and Kink in Canada. The other newsworthy tidbits in Karl’s life are that he now has a hamster.
Jamie McIntosh (wethepeople, Primo) just turned 31 years-old! Even though he’s a busy guy, he’s been able to get out on the weekends to wrap up his footage for the Ten Pack video and to get something together for the wethepeople video. Those new Orchids on his feet are comforting his step as he looks forward to the Toronto Metro BMX Jam.
Jay Miron (MacNeil, Orchid Footwear, Primo) just won a contest down in New Zealand, and he also took home hardest trick in vert. He’s busy working in the office, and an interview with him was just posted on the Metro BMX Jam site.
Dave Osato (wethepeople) just returned from the X-Air contest in New Zealand, where he stayed behind for a few weeks for an extended vacation. Dave and friends are still working on their local riding spot, The Igloo.
Don’t forget about the Toronto Metro BMX Jam, which will be held March 5, 6, 7 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Check the Metro BMX Jam Web site for all the details, interviews, and photos.
- David Quesada at FlyBikes in Spain has called in some help:
"I want to introduce two new guys on the Flybikes staff. Gonzalo Manera and Alvaro Santalucia "Guiri". I was just going nuts lately so these guys will help me to run everything smoother."
- We need your help on this one. FATBMX is nominated for Website of the year. The FUNBOX award can be ours if you vote for us at: http://www.funboxawards.nl/idx_pren_webs.html That only takes a few seconds so do it now. Thanks in advance.
- 414 productions (Zach & Shaun) have come up with the following UK events for 2004:
* BIKE 04 Birmingham NEC 16-18 April 2004 - Vert, Street, Flat, Dirt. Prize Total $ 18,000
* RED BULL 3 Degrees Cardiff 12 Â 13 June 2004 - Street. Prize Total Â£ 8,000
* NASS 04 Bath Sommerset 16-18 July 2004 - Vert, Street, Flat, Dirt. X-Games Qualifer
* URBAN GAMES 04 Clapham Common, London 23-25 July 2004 - Vert, Street, Flat, Dirt. Prize Total Â£ 21,000
* BOARD-X 04 London Nov 2004 - Street, Midi Ramp. Prize Total Â£6,000
- Risto Kalmre sent us some more pics of the successful Simpel Session contest in Tallinn. They'll give you a better idea of why you need to be in Estonia next winter.
- Bob Scerbo and the Little Devil crew are coming over for the HomeMadeJam in Amsterdam.
- There used to be a time when there were only 5 freestyle events per summer. Now it looks like there are 5 events per month! If you need to know where to go, check our FATBMX event schedule. It's the best updated BMX calendar we know of. No need to go somewhere else, check here: //fatbmx.com/events.html
- DIG issue 36 is a done job but we already received the cover of issue 37. Wildlife?
- BMX demos at the Dutch MXGP in Lichtenvoorde? Maybe yes, maybe no.
- Looks like the MX track of Mac de Helm in Helmond will have some nice BMX trails in the near future. For all those riders who are interested in doing a little bit of both, watch this space.
- Spinlikehell is working on his own little company to be sold via internet. Stay tuned.
- HARO riders Ben Shenker, Stefan Geisler and Senad Grosic have teamed up at Woodward for some serious riding sessions and a lot of fun. All escaped from the shitty European winter and have been having a good time in the USA. For some pics visit the HAROBIKES.com website.
- Last month the HyÃ¨res BMX Racing Club held a race for Fred King in HyÃ¨res/Var/France. Fred was seriously injured when he damaged some vertebra during a BMX race a few years ago. All money raised went to Fred for his surgery. Keep up the good spirit Fred!
- If you haven't found "Paradigm Shift" by Kay Clauberg yet, visit Kay's site at: www.kayclauberg.de
- The Terrible One crew have started working on the T-1 video. Joe Rich is hoping to have it done by the end of May. Seriously, no bullshit. That's the goal. There will be some extras that come along with the vid so get ready for this one. Footage from the T-1 World tour will be worth the wait.
- Congratulations to Hoffman Bikes' pro vert rider Kevin "Yeehaah!" Robinson and Robin on their January 17th nuptials in the Dominican Republic!!! Also Congrats to HB's own Mark and Christie Owen on the birth of their daughter Ever Kai Owen. Ever was born Tuesday Jan. 13th at 6:10am and weighs 8lbs and is 19" long. More babies, yeah.
- Johan Lindstrom informed us that the 2006 UCI BMX World Championships will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. Mark your calendar for either a good fiesta at the beach, or some quality time at a BMX track. Date: 28-30 July 2006. Place: Rio Centro, one of South America’s largest exhibition & convention centers. Rio Centro is located next to the Nelson Piquet F1 Circuit and within minutes from downtown city of Rio de Janeiro. American bar, get ready.
- We've got a report up in the freestyle section from the X-air contest in New Zealand. If you want to know which foreigners won what, here are the results:
Sony Walkman BMX Dirt:
1. Ryan Nyquist USA
2. Mykel Perkins AUS
3. Corey Bohan AUS
Haro BMX Street:
1. Ryan Nyquist USA
2. Ben Manual UK
3. Dave Osato CAN
Haro BMX Vert:
1. Jay Miron CAN
2. Zach Shaw UK
3. Eduardo Terreros SPAIN
- The tenth annual VANS WARPED TOUR Â®--America’s longest-running touring festival--is gearing up for the 25 June start. Rick Thorne and several other BMX riders will be on tour doing demos with the following bands: Bad Religion, Good Charlotte, NOFX, Thursday, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, The Vandals, Taking Back Sunday, Lars Frederickson & the Bastards, International Noise Conspiracy, Coheed and Cambria, Bouncing Souls, Flogging Molly, Atmosphere, Anti-Flag, Rise Against, The Casualties and Yellowcard. Tickets are available somewhere on the internet.
- If you can't find the Event Schedule button on the FATBMX site, at least you now have the HSA contest schedule:
- Latin X Games: May 6-9 Rio, Brazil (Pro vert, park, flat).
- Snickers Soul Bowl: June 4-6 UK (Pro vert) Donnington, UK. Invite only.
- Fusion Soul Bowl: July 29-Aug. 1 Huntington Beach, CA (Pro vert) Invite only.
- X Games: Early August, Los Angeles, CA (Pro vert, park, flat, dirt) Qualified riders only.
- Freestyle.ch: Sept 24-26 Zurich, Switzerland (Pro vert) Ooohhh yeah!
Lots of pro-invite only events and X-games qualifiers.
- WeThePeople riders Will Jackson and Ashley Charles from the UK now have support from Olympus camera's - they'll be keeping a photo diary of what they get up to this year, courtesy of a couple of digital cameras from Olympus. Nice idea. Hopefully all party pics will make it through the web checkpoint....
- Taj Mihelich launched a new website project; TajsBMXMedia.com, and through this website Taj hopes to create a centralized place where riders from all over the world can buy and sell BMX 'zines. He'll also carry some other BMX Media like hard to get BMX magazines from other countries and BMX photo books that have come out as of late. The idea is to support the art of 'zine making and independent media.
- Looks like BMX-ers in the Lake Forest area will have free access to the Etnies supported concrete skatepark soon. The BMX amendment to the skatepark ordinance was well-received by Lake Forest Mayor Peter Herzog, as well as the entire City Council. Embracing the future admission of BMX to the skatepark. It was then agreed that the proposed BMX amendment would be voted on by the Lake Forest City Council at the next City Council Meeting on February 17. Once approved, the amendment would go into effect thirty days after the vote.
- The Redbull Circle of Balance part 2 will take place in Oberhausen, Germany on April 24th. 18 of the best flatland riders of the world are flown in to battle head to head for the biggest check. Flatland does get the respect it deserves. The following riders are invited: Terry Adams + Stephen Cerra + Matt Wilhelm (USA), Marcos de Jesus (Brasil), Viki Gomez (Spain), Travis Collier + Penonzek (Can), Yamamoto + Tanaka + Okamura (Japan), Simon O'Brien (Aus), Jumelin + Petitet (France), Lukas + Rose + Steingraeber (Germany), Michael Sommer (Austria) and Martti Kuoppa (Finland).
- AOL Time Warner's BMX Business news, the only BMX trade magazine, will begin using glossy paper with its March issue. The magazine previously was printed on newspaper paper. The glossy paper will give the mag a more professional feel and your fingers clean.
- The 1st round of the UCI BMX Supercross will be held May 1st â€“ 2nd 2004 at Woodward West, Stallion Springs California (USA). Located 2 Â½ hours north of Los Angeles, Woodward West is a newly developed action-sports facility that opened in May 2003. The camp features state-of-the-art ramps and skateparks as well as a huge downhill BMX track previously used at the 2003 X-Games BMX Downhill event.On the same weekend and in addition to the UCI BMX Supercross event, a CFB X-Games Qualifier event will be organized by Hoffman Sports Association. This major BMX Freestyle event together with the UCI BMX Supercross will ensure that this will be one of the most exciting BMX weekends in 2004. The 2nd and final round of the UCI BMX Supercross will be held Camp Woodward, Woodward PA (USA) on September 25th-26th 2004.
- Nate Berkheimer is on Schwinn (off Staats) and Stephen Murray is on GT (off Nirve).
- EINDHOVEN WILL BE OVERWHELMED WITH BMX RIDERS NEXT SATURDAY MARCH 6th! FROM 12:00H WE MEET AT THE STADSHUISPLEIN (5min from Train/bus station) AND HAVE A BIG FLATLAND JAM AND LATER ON A STREETTOUR THROUGH THE CITY, EVERYONE IS WELCOME, NO ENTREE FEES JUST PRICES TO WIN! SATURDAY EVENING IN THE EFFENAAR (5min from Train/bus station) WE WILL HAVE A BIG OLDSCHOOL 25 YEAR BMX&SKATE LAGEJA PARTY WITH BEEF! PLAYING FOR YA ALL! Entry fee is Euro 15.00 TICKETS Available at PAUL'S BOUTIQUE, LAGEJA, BACKSTAGE and THE EFFENAAR Limited tickets available so be fast!
- James Alberto was having a good time at the KGB party in Amsterdam, no Breezers this time so he took it easy: with Smirrnof's..... He was sober again next day to judge the Flatground contest.....
- A new Mini Spine in Veldhoven is been build and ready to be shred, 4,60m wide and with a kinda "skatelite" top layer, scene report soon.
- FlatTV is working on issue #3, Flatground is on tape and Bart & Paul's Flatbattle #2 in Eindhoven is the next step. DVD's are planned but it blew up Renato's computer so not available soon.
- PURE BMX Distribution is the new FIT & S&M distributor for the Netherlands, first order will be in before the MiniFAT jam on March 27 & 28th.
- The Homemade jam in Amsterdam will be visited by the Little Devil team! Check Fat's schedule for dates.
- Sjoerd at Dare Devul Utrecht is organising a bus tour to the Worlds in Cologne! If your budget is tight and you don't have your own transportation contact him at www.daredevul.nl