Here's the March newsletter from the HARO camp:
- Brian Blyther is aboard a retro HARO Sport and likes it.
- Stefan Geisler has received a HARO flatland bike to get his flatland groove on. This way he doesn't have to change his vert bike set-up when he gets called in for a flat demo.
- Dave Mirra has been working on triple tailwhip jumps.
- The name of the new HARO tire is the Joe Dirt tire and here are the specs:
80 PSI Max
60 TPI, 1 PLY
Knurled top surface
Smooth design with more grip than a park-type tire
Requested and designed by the Haro riders as a front dirt tire first
Around $18 retail
Available: Early June
- Dave Mirra has been awarded the BMX Plus! freestyler of the year title. Congratulations to Dave and thanks to the readers of BMX Plus!
- HARO Bikes/Velo 2000 are a big sponsor of the UCI BMX World Championships in Bercy, France. On the weekend of 29-31 July Warwick Stevenson is going to try to defend his rainbow jersey.
- The MTV crew came over to Warwick Stevenson's house to film an episode of MTV Cribs. Warwick built some trails in his backyard just in time and also bought some new furniture before the professional film crew stepped in the door. Check theWarlock.com site to see pics of the happening.
- Ben Shenker is one busy rider. He travels, he rides, he has fun:
"I just spent a few days in Vienna, Austria with HARO rider Senad Grosic, riding his new indoor facility. They had this outdoor place for years and now they had to move, so they found a good warehouse for the ramps and foam-pit. It was a bloody good change to ride something else, and to ride with Senad. We had lots of fun, beer and few good sessions too. We made plans for the season and decided to go the states later on. I finished my school stuff for a while once again, and will start again in the fall, this time studying physiotherapy." He continues: "Riding-wise, I'm riding shitloads, min 4 hours a day. Mostly at the indoor park, but when the sun is out I try go street riding. Though it's been really cold, so that's been a while now. We have another indoor place, which is almost un-rideable, I never go there. Anyway, they held an am comp 2 weeks ago, and I couldn't believe how many kids entered (even though it was 0 degrees). I haven't even heard of half of them! And guess what...most of them riding older Nyquist and Mirra frames. Also saw a 24inch red Nyquist frame...I just had an interview with SoulBMXMag, should be out soon...
- Anthony Pill has been chosen by Braun to be one of the test riders of their new transportable mini-ramp set-up. Pill has also been invited to attend every round of the Braun Cruzer tour which takes the ramp to England, Italy and Germany. After the 6 events are over, the overall mini-ramp winner gets a Suzuki Jimny car. Count Pill in for the competition. More info on: www.cruzertour.com and check the video with the HARO Europe rider in it.
- Australian BMX rider Jamie Gray, who currently lives in the UK, has received his HARO bikes to do battle on the MTB circuit in England. The Escape 8.3 and the HARO Zero are both being tuned at a local bike shop while Jamie is fighting the flu. First event will be The Bike Show in Coventry. 1-3 April. That's not a lot of time to get ready. Wish the BMX-er luck, his 20 years of experience will come in handy.
- Verwimp BV had a successful Open House on 13-14 March. The main area had four HARO bike displays full of 2005 models.
- Austrian HARO rider Senad Grosic did two shows at the Vienna sports hall in front of 15.000 people. The first show on the second day was almost missed as Senad had his B-day on Saturday which needed to be celebrated with some friends. Senad did an 8 day tour that was filmed for MTV Austria and has probably 5 more things scheduled before his flies over to the UK to join the HARO crew for the UK tour.
- The Garden of Vert will be a special halfpipe contest held at Peter Geys' backyard vert ramp from 12-14 August. The Bike Devil is getting things together for the event right now. Peter was in Russia earlier this month for a vert demo at a snowboard event. -15 degrees (centigrade).
- Chile is sending two riders to the ultimate BMX training centre in Aigle, Switzerland to prepare them for the 2008 Olympic games. One of the riders is HARO's Javiera Figueroa. The 16 years old BMX racer is stoked to be chosen to represent her country. 12 athletes, from 16 to 22 years old, will under 3 months follow the training program of Michel Lalande (former French National Coach). The course will begin in May leading up to the UCI BMX World Championships in the end of July. During this period, the athletes will also have the possibility to participate in various European BMX Championships rounds and the UCI BMX Supercross World Cup.
- Achim Kujawski is having a media vert session at his ramp on April 8th. On the list of riders are: Stefan Geisler (HARO Europe), Peter Geys (HARO Benelux), Tim Eichert (HARO Germany) and Sander Nieuwenhuis (HARO Benelux).
- Verwimp BV are doing a HARO ad in the Reload BMX 'n Trix how to special. The HARO ad is a how-to with Dave Mirra doing one crazy big flair. Good luck to the kids.....
- Lots of news from Moore Large over in the UK:
- Professional Photographer Chris Woodage has been hired for a HARO photo shoot that will take place at Liverpool’s Ruff Ride Skatepark. The photo shoot has been organized to get some new shots of the HARO UK team, the new shots will be used in the up and coming adverts throughout 2005. Ruff Ride BMX park is a new park for 2005, it was set up by a group of enthusiasts and is a non profit making organization, working with Health service to get kids off the streets. Moore Large sponsors the park, and the whole place is branded up with Haro and Premium Logo’s.
- Anthony Pill (member of the HARO European team) will remain as Haro Bikes UK BMX team manager for 2005, he will also ride BMX Street, Mini-Ramp and Vert contests throughout the year. Ben Hennon will continue riding for Haro Bikes UK BMX team for 2005 as is Ben Manuel.
- Moore Large are working with Ride BMX Magazine. They will be having 4 competitions to win 4 different Haro Bikes throughout the year.
- A Haro Bikes F3 will be given away at this year's â€˜Bike Show’ held at Stoneleigh Park Coventry. The Bike will be on Ride BMX Magazines stand (4130 Publishing) and given away at some point over the weekend.
- The Haro Bikes UK BMX Tour, has been organized to further promote the brand and increase brand recognition. The Tour will last 1 week and stops at various spots in the UK, Ryan Nyquist, Josh Harrington, Senad Grosic, Stephan Geisler, Ben Shenker, Anthony Pill, Ben Hennon and Ben Manual will be on the tour. (nearly a full team). The tour runs straight into the Bike Show, there are various contests held at the bike show, these include Street, Dirt, Vert, Mini-ramp and Flatland. All of the team will be competing.
- The HARO UK Tour advertisement will be blown up to A2 size and made into a Poster, the poster will be available before the tour to promote it, and then given away at each venue as, well as the bike show. The Banner has been designed to promote the Haro Bikes UK tour in each Skatepark, as a 1 month pre-launch promotion of the tour. The banner is 1.6m x 3m.
For more HARO news go to: www.harobikes.com